Liverpool Savings Bank…a living memory.

Liverpool Savings Bank, at one time a prominent and familiar banking corporation in Liverpool once had branches spread all over the city. Bold Street was no exception, many of the Bold Street memories collected over the period of the project mention the bank once at 93, 95 & 97 (now Rapid Hardware Furniture Shop, coming down from the top on the right hand side) which was once the main bank for the depositing of wages by Bold Street workers. It was taken over in the 70’s by Lloyds TSB.

Lesley, a lady I met at The League of Welldoers (Lee Jones Centre) on Limekiln Lane mentioned to me that she had once worked at the Bank and kindly agreed to write a story about the experience.

“I went for my interview at Liverpool Savings Bank Head Office in January 1973 – the letter said to report to the side door – no front entrance for me!!

I was shown into a small office right at the back of the banking hall – the space was vast – high ceiling and so many staff, mostly men and all in suits. Voices echoed from the counter although from where I stood you couldn’t see it – there were so many screens and people.

It’s hard to explain the smell – but all traditional banking halls had the same smell – of marble, polish and money!!

After the interview I was taken through the busy banking hall, managing a quick look at the high wooden counters, and then through a door which opened into a large stairwell. A grand staircase swept up to a first floor boardroom and offices, the impact of such a grand sight immediately made you want to whisper if it hadn’t already struck you dumb!!

I passed my interview and was sent to work at Waterloo Branch but as ‘junior’ I would go to Bold Street one a week to pick up the branch ‘bag’ that would contain internal mail - a great way to meet all the other branch juniors! One day Bold Street’s manager called me to one side and asked where my suit jacket was – I explained I didn’t have one – he was appalled, his opinion was that a female in trousers should wear them as a part of a suit (similar to the male staff) – I made sure I was wearing a skirt on all my other visits!

Many years later I actually got the chance to work at the branch although by then it was called TSB plc with the head office in another part of the country. The impressive boardroom had become a staff lunch room but the high wooden counter was still there as were the wonderful staircase and that unforgettable smell!!

I’ve got really happy memories of Bold Street branch even the cellars, which were a bit dank and spooky but held so many secrets. The floor was always a bit damp being below the water basin and much of the paper had water stains and smelt a bit funny but it was an amazing place to ferret around oops I mean tidy up!!”

Thank you to Lesley for this wonderful story.

15 Responses to “Liverpool Savings Bank…a living memory.”

1. 1 william mccoy Jun 26th, 2009 at 7:39 am

would you know anything of hatton,morris from round 1913 they were the bankers for the galicain oil mining company ltd regas william

2. 2 Stephen Key Jan 28th, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I have several old family documents that include share certificates issued by this bank, I was told that they have no value other than looking good and being old!

3. 3 william mccoy Aug 23rd, 2010 at 2:44 pm

to
    stephen key.

about your share certificates, could you tell me the adress for this company. [hatton,morris & co its on the back of your certificates regards william

4. 4 stephen key Dec 22nd, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Thanks for your reply,

Hatton Morris & Co
    Carlton House
    Regent Street
    London SW

5. 5 cathy Feb 25th, 2011 at 11:41 am

To William,

Did you ever find out about the shares, im trying to trace them and keep coming up with nothing??? Stephen how did yo find out they were worthless??

Regards,

Cathy

6. 6 william mccoy Apr 4th, 2011 at 4:45 pm

to cathy getting nowhere been trying for over 3 years,i have my great grandfathers oil shares pass book with money paid in for shares in the galician standard oil mining company limited,and the bankers were hatton,morris & co i was told they were bought in liverpool,

cathy r we related to the above person his name was william herbert
    his daughters name martha

7. 7 Patrick Fox Apr 5th, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Hi All

Check with Shell they may have bought this copmany out? Good luck with your search!

laura

8. 8 Steve Noonan Apr 9th, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I have a coin bearing the name of The Trustee Savings Bank commemorating The Trustee Savings Bank Week 1960. On the reverse side of the coin is the face of Dr Henry Duncan, apparently the father of Savings Banks. Does anyone know if it is of any value?
    I mentioned this coin to my present Bank Manger of the TSB and he could not recall it.

9. 9 Gordon Williams May 16th, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Regarding the TSB `coin`, I believe I have one somewhere. I joined the Liverpool Savings Bank from school in 1953, and spent over 37 years in the TSB, latterly Lloyds TSB of course. I would think that the souvenir would be worth a few pounds to a banking ephemera collector. I have a recollection that they were issued in their thousands though to everyone who made a deposit in an account during the special week, being regarded more as a sort of medal than a coin.

10. 10 Patrick Fox May 17th, 2011 at 10:13 am

A photo or scan of the coin would be fantastic if anyone has one, if so could you email through to laura.yates@fact.co.uk

thanks
    tenantspin

11. 11 Gordon Williams May 17th, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Not sure if I can lay my hands on the medal, which from memory was about the size of a florin (2/- piece). They were issued I think to commemorate 150 years of Trustte Savings Banks, the first such bank being acknowledge as Rev. Henry Duncan`s in Ruthwell, Scotland, although I believe there is a case for the claims of an earlier bank in Edinburgh(?) which did however have a slightly different modus operandi and rules. Duncan`s model was perhaps nearer to the way the banks that followed were set up. The little medals/coins were neither silver or gold colour, but something between the two, sort of dull brass as I recall

12. 12 Richard Pearson Apr 20th, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I worked for Liverpool TSB for 6 years and started work at Bold Street in 1964. I am trying to trace how to claim my pension (albeit a small amount!) Can anyone help?

13. 13 Keith Greenland Apr 6th, 2013 at 10:33 am

You could write to Lloyds TSB Pensions Office. If you qualified they should have attempted to find you.
    Google - LloydsTSB Pensions Department and send them an e-mail with your details. I was there in 1964 until 1971 when I went to open a Branch in Ramsey Isle of Man. Can’t say our paths crossed. Hope you get something from them.

14. 14 David Deas Sep 6th, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Hi Keith I remember you. I was employed by Liverpool Savings Bank in 1971 and reached position ofBranch manager in TSB until being made redundant in 1992. I was a cashier at Bold Street for 5 years from 1971.Life there was enjoyable in a professional banking atmosphere.

1. 1 Friday Photo: Corner of Wood Street | HoylakeJunction.com Pingback on May 4th, 2012 at 5:33 pm